Thursday, March 3, 2011

So what? It's just a Birthday

As of today, I have been living and breathing the air a.k.a oxygen and has become a permanent resident of a place called Earth for 23 years...

Alhamdulillah, I received the chance to live this long. In some parts of the world, some don't even make it to 20 years, 10 years or even a day. Thank you to Allah S.W.T for giving me this opportunity.

While some celebrates and having a blast on their birthday, it is a total opposite when it comes to my situation. This year, it's a quiet birthday. yes, quiet as in no birthday cake, no blowing candles and making wishes, no fancy presents (except for the camera, which I take it as an early advanced birthday gift), no surprise parties, or even picture taking moments.

Funnily enough, I don't mind. Well, in the beginning of course I have a little sadness. I mean who doesn't, right? It's your birthday. But then again, yeah...it's just a Birthday. Nothing more than that. A birthday is just a tiny bit compared to all that is going on in this world. I celebrated my 23 years of living, but in other countries, they don't even remember when they were born, as their life is constantly in chaos and war, not to mention poverty. Moping and complaining that you don't have a blast on your birthday just shows immaturity and selfishness, when the people around you are suffering and need help.

Also, even if there are celebrations for me, I don't think I'll be enjoying it that much. For one thing, my siblings are not here to celebrate along, to laugh with, to joke around and to hug. They flew back to Egypt a day before my birthday. I felt very sad they had to leave early, not because I can't celebrate with them, but because I don't have enough time to enjoy to the fullest the moments that we had together. Plus, with all the issues happening around me, it kills the mood. Sometimes in the middle of the night I found myself unconsciously thinking what's the purpose of me here? I've caused nothing but trouble and annoyance. But then, I realized that it won't be too troubling if I don't let it get to me. I'm done being all good and kind. Sometimes a little evil is needed to avoid becoming the victim.

So, here's to myself. Happy Birthday. Always keep your parents' words at heart and in your mind.

No comments: