Sunday, September 20, 2009

my granny my opah

Everyone has a granny. At least one. Some have one, two, three and even four grannies! (poligamy ler ni..haha!). Like me, I have two grannies. But I'd like to express more on my granny on my father's side. We call her opah.


It's still clear in my mind that when I was small, I sometimes sat next to opah and told her evrything that I could think of. And since I was a bookworm at that time, I used to tell her stories and fun facts that I read. I remembered telling her that papayas have lots of vitamin c that can heal an injured wound or a cut. I told her anything without really bother whether she really listened and being attentive or not. But actually, she did. She listened and remembered some of those that I told her. She even told me that she ate some papayas and it was true that it cured her wound. She was attentive to my words and acts.


Now, things are different. Opah hardly remembers. Not because she doesn't want to, but she cannot. Opah has becoming forgetful. She finds it difficult to find her keys. She forgets where she keeps her money. She couldn't recall whether she has eaten or not. She even forgets where she placed her glasses, when she is actually wearing it. She has become more sensitive too. She gets offended easily. My family, uncle and aunt have tried to persuade her to come and live with us, but she refused. She doesn't want to leave her house empty. The house has kept so much memories that she can ever recall.


Now, I'm studying at a university far north. I hardly visits and see her. I no longer sits next to her and told her stories and experiences that I've encounteres. I feel really guilty for not being able to accompany her and entertain her as I used to. Dear opah, I'm really sorry for not spending time with as much as you have spent your time with me and my siblings when we were young. I'm sorry that I wasn't so attentive and concern of your health and your whereabouts. And I'm sorry that I cannot do anything to help you reduce your forgetfulness. I pray for you to always be healthy and happy. And I want you to know that I love you very much and I remember you every day although I don't always see, visits and talk to you. Love you, granny.

No comments: